Kevin Spacey to ‘Voluntarily’ Appear in UK Court on Sexual Assault Charges

0



Kevin Spacey said he will “appear voluntarily” in a UK court on sex offense charges.

The actor by House of Cards62, was charged last week by the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) with four counts of sexual assault and one count of causing nonconsensual penetrative sexual activity.

He was reportedly under threat of extradition to Britain if he refused to appear voluntarily.

In a statement provided to the American television program good morning america on Tuesday, Spacey said, “I very much appreciate the statement [de CPS] in which they carefully reminded the media and the public that I am entitled to a fair trial and that I am innocent until proven guilty.”

“While I am disappointed in his decision to proceed, I will voluntarily appear in the UK as soon as I can arrange and defend myself against these charges, which I am confident will prove my innocence.”

CPS filed five charges against Spacey on Thursday after an investigation by the Metropolitan Police.

Four were sexual assault charges in connection with incidents involving three men, now in their thirties and forties. One man accused the actor of two assaults in London in March 2005, another accused him of an assault in London in 2008 and another accused him of an assault in Gloucestershire in April 2013.

He was also charged with causing a person to engage in non-consensual penetrative sexual activity in London in August 2008. The complainant on this charge is the same as the one on the 2008 assault charge.

On Sunday, Guardian reported that Spacey faced extradition to the UK if he did not return voluntarily. The newspaper quoted an official familiar with the proceedings as saying that British authorities may soon have dispatched US police to arrest the actor on his behalf.

Spacey is a two-time Oscar winner known for his starring roles in American Beauty, The Usual Suspects and the Netflix political drama house of cards.

He was artistic director of the Old Vic theater in London between 2004 and 2015.

The actor’s new movie, Peter Five Eighthis first leading role in five years, screened at the Cannes Film Festival earlier this month.

The producers of the noir drama defended him against the charges when they were announced, saying, “While it is unfortunate that the increase in negative press is in sync with Kevin’s return to work, it is also to be expected.”

They added, “The production has no knowledge of or comment on the various allegations, and believes that it is a matter on which the courts must determine its validity, if any. Peter Five Eight It’s a movie for fans who care more about art than scandal.”

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here