Photo: Mariela Lombard / El Diario NY
“What can I say? Justice has been done, ”María Cabrera commented by telephone from the Dominican Republic upon learning that a man has been accused of the death of his son in Brooklyn (NYC), almost five years later.
The cook Argenis Cabrera died shot from a vehicle in Crown Heights in the early morning of July 3, 2018 and now Marc Jean, a 35-year-old man who is in prison for another crime and was about to regain his freedom, has been accused of the case, reported Daily News.
“Thank you, thank you, thank you for this news,” Mrs. Cabrera told that newspaper, crying when she heard for the first time that her son’s alleged murderer was already in prison.
What can I say? Justice has been done”
María Cabrera, mother of the victim
Cabrera, 33, was just steps from his home on Union St. near Troy Ave. when a gunman opened fire from a minivan, police said.
After the minivan crashed a half-block away near Schenectady Ave., two suspects got away and ran three blocks to a Metro station on Eastern Parkway. In the interim Cabrera was rushed to Kings County Hospital, where he died.
It was not immediately clear how police ultimately linked Jean to Cabrera’s death. In addition to manslaughter, he was charged with possession of weapons, reckless endangerment, and attempt to kill a second person who was nearly hit by a hail of bullets.
The now defendant Jean had been convicted on December 28, 2021 of attempted criminal possession of a weapon for an unrelated case and sentenced to two years in prison. He was scheduled to be released from prison this month.
All charges are mere accusations and those charged are presumed innocent until proven guilty in court.
#Hispano #shot #death #home #York #years #accuse #gunman #prison #released